Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Revisiting Shimmersand (part one)


Shimmersand have always been that special place in Rift for me. Ever since I was farming Ancient Golden Dragon Egg Shells for that Earth/Fire World Event. Yes, each patch in the early days of Rift had separate world event, that was somehow unique to the 'standard' annual festivals. One of the things I surely miss today, because they felt so rewarding, plus being 'one time only'. Pre-Storm Legion Carnival of the Ascended had a neat event phase in Shimmersand, too.

I spent days farming that Dragonslayer Covenant minority for the outfit, Drake Slayer and mount. Probably a personal achievement that I'm most proud of. Years after, that dirty white robe is still my favorite wardrobe gear and I rarely switch it with something different. The title and the mount not that often, but damn right I'm one of the Covenant! :)


I love everything about Shimmersand. The eastern ambient, the sand, the pools, the mobs and even that 'hidden' place where you can teleported too, above the whole desert. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but it's my favorite 'sandish' zone in all Telara. Storm Legion's similar zone aren't even close. Comparing to Shimmersand, they just lack soul, although the whole idea of those places should invoke that. Barren and abandoned, with tons of secrets under that sand.

I went back to farm a mount which I don't have from a lure that opens a Rift from where the mount drops, Sinister Tide. But ended up doing a Zone Event. Probably will farm these until the mount drops and there's no place better then Shimmersand. The lures are also a good way to spend my excessive amount of Planarite, so that's what I'm gonna be doing these days.

In my second part, I will make a more visual tour of the desert, which by the way isn't abandoned at all, it's full of people, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment